HOME OF THE SOUTHERN SPIRITCLUB CAR
10Th DECEMBER 2015 – ‘L’ CLASS SOUND LOCOS RUNNING ISSUES
Join us on face book at https://www.facebook.com/southernrailmodels
TWO ‘L’ CLASS ISSUES
1. Quite a few of the sound versions of our “L “ class have sold out including L1 / L3 / L4 & L5 whilst others are close to sell out. However we have a limited number of ‘L’ programed decoders available with this shipment so if you desperately want a sold out version let us know and we will fit it for you.
2. The second issue concerns the operation of SOUND locomotives.
Learn about your loco at:
The loco is prototypically correct in its start-up sequence which takes around 14 seconds, much longer than the 4 or 5 seconds most modellers are familiar with. A number of modellers are impatient for the loco to move and increase the speed steps of their loco substantially. The loco then takes off at an extremely fast rate. At this point, modellers are then quickly reducing the speed steps and the mother board is unable to cope and scrambles the motor control. The model crawls as power is being sucked from the motor and then all of a sudden the motor gets full power and takes off.
We have worked through the issue with both our independent sound engineer Mike Walters from DCC Sound and our independent Electrical Engineer, Paul Baker from the Trainman, in conjunction with ESU. At this time the issue appears to be a fault in manufacturing the ESU designed mother board with some of the values being incorrectly changed without consultation.
Consequently some minor adjustments need to be carried out to your locomotives. These are easily undertaken by many of our customers with some basic skills without affecting warranty.
On the other hand, if a customer is uncomfortable in making the modifications or would prefer Southern Rail to make the modification, than please email us at Lclasssrm@gmail.com requesting a return number and return address for either The Trainman or DCC Sound. After returning the models, please email us with a copy of the postage receipt, with name, return number and bank account details. Postage refunds will only made by direct deposit and no return will be accepted without the return number clearly marked on the outside of the parcel.
- THERE ARE NO ISSUES WITH NON SOUND LOCOMOTIVES
- All outstanding orders for SOUND ARG & WAGR Two Tone Blue locos will be modified before distribution.
- STEP BY STEP MODIFICATION INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED BELOW.
SRM ‘L’ CLASS MOTHERBOARD MODIFICATION
NOTE: Ensure model is not powered when completing the modification.
1. Access the motherboard by removing the hood section at the dynamic brake fan area
2. Remove the decoder, carefully pulling it upwards and away from motherboard
4. Remove above noted components using Xuron snips or equivalent
7. Apply Kapton tape or equivalent over solder pads to prevent arching
8. Reinsert decoder (note correct orientation with black 21 pin header facing up in model)
9. Refit dynamic brake hood section to complete modification
OUR OFFICE HOURS ARE 9AM TO 5 PM MONDAY TO FRIDAY
Do not expect a courteous response outside of these hours.
Fax & e-mail facilities are available.
A special call back time can be arranged by email or by sending a text message.
Helping to keep your dream alive